The Journal of Economic Development in Higher Education is an online, peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the study of university-led economic development. The Journal examines ways in which institutions of higher education foster competitiveness through human capital formation; research and innovation; and quality-of-place strategies that make communities attractive places to live, work, operate businesses, and raise families.
Submissions for Publication:
The Journal encourages articles on new frameworks, theories, or concepts; data-driven research articles; program evaluations; qualitative or quantitative case studies that highlight or analyze the role played by institutions of higher education and/or opinion pieces in:
- Promoting economic development, innovation, and entrepreneurship, especially through interdisciplinary initiatives and public-private partnerships;
- Improving the impact, reach, and applicability of the institution’s research—and improving the impact and reach of other strategic niches of expertise—to enhance institutional and regional competitiveness;
- Applying basic and applied research to solve an industry’s—or the region’s—most pressing challenges;
- Leveraging institutional research and other resources to accelerate business formation and growth, develop new products and services, and/or link local businesses to the global economy through foreign investment or trade;
- Engaging and linking elements of their region’s innovation ecosystem;
- Developing and implementing solutions to their region’s human capital and workforce needs;
- Facilitating access by various constituents to information or institutional resources;
- Stewardship for vibrant regions:
- Innovative economies,
- Livable communities,
- Social inclusion, and
- Collaborative governance
The journal also seeks submissions addressing the theoretical underpinnings on exactly why and how university-led economic development benefits society.
Further information about submitting a manuscript, including author guidelines can be found on the journal website. Questions about potential submissions should be directed to Brian Richard, JEDHE Editor.
 For the purposes of this journal, institutions of higher education include community colleges, 4-year colleges, universities, consortiums of these types of entities, or affiliated institutions with an economic development mission, to include university-hosted Small Business Development Center, business incubators, business accelerators, research and technology parks, etc.