News & Publications
University Economic Development Association seeks nominations for 2018 Awards of Excellence
PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA – March 29, 2018 – The University Economic Development Association (UEDA) is currently seeking nominations for its annual Awards of Excellence program, which recognizes cutting edge university-based economic development initiatives from across North America.
The 2018 Awards program features an open nominations format, allowing non-UEDA members to participate for the first time. “We are very excited to welcome nominations from the full spectrum of institutions engaged in higher education-based economic development, regardless of their affiliation with UEDA” said Julia M. Potter, 2018 Awards Committee Chair.
“Our Awards program reflects UEDA’s ongoing commitment to drive prosperity in regions across the globe. By highlighting and recognizing best practices in economic engagement, we strive to bring awareness to innovative ideas that can be replicated in other regions,” added UEDA Executive Director Tim Hindes.
The Awards of Excellence Program identifies higher education institutions and their partners who are transforming their campuses into engines of economic prosperity through creative initiatives in six categories:
- Talent – Talent includes the spectrum of knowledge transfer activities by which universities educate people, developing human capital for the 21st century Knowledge Economy.
- Talent + Innovation – Projects and initiatives that synergistically connect TALENT and INNOVATION, to create innovators of many kinds—business entrepreneurs, idea or product makers, and problem-solvers.
- Innovation – Innovation begins with basic research, but then builds on knowledge creation to encompass knowledge transfer and application in ways that are useful and relevant to society.
- Innovation + Place – Projects and initiatives that synergistically connect INNOVATION and PLACE, to create physical places that attract and build concentrations of talent and innovators—knowledge communities.
- Place – Place is defined as the many and diverse ways in which institutions contribute to making attractive, competitive communities—places where people want to live, create and take jobs, raise their families, participate in civic life, and age and retire.
- Talent + Place – Projects and initiatives that synergistically connect TALENT and PLACE in ways that enrich discourse, promote civic participation, and otherwise enhance quality of place.
Deadline for nominations is May 15, 2018. A webinar featuring past award winners will be held on April 20, 2018 to further explain the awards application submission and presentation processes. Complete details about the UEDA Awards of Excellence program, including the awards nomination form, can be found at: http://Awards.UniversityEDA.org.
Established in 1976, the University Economic Development Association (UEDA) is the cornerstone membership organization representing higher education, private sector and community economic development stakeholders. UEDA works to expand economic opportunity in our communities by leveraging research, community resources, campus planning, talent development, and technology commercialization. UEDA’s mission is to serve its members by enhancing members’ abilities to deliver economic development benefits through engagement with higher education. http://www.universityeda.org
University Economic Development Association
PO Box 97930
Pittsburgh, PA 15227