Nevada Center for Applied Research-
Opening Doors for Innovation
|Award Category:||Place + Innovation|
|Project Site:||Nevada Center for Applied Research-Opening Doors for Innovation|
|Submitted By:||University of Nevada, Reno|
|Contact:||Jane Tors, Director, Research Communications, 775.240.8686|
The Nevada Center for Applied Research (NCAR) opens the door for innovation-driven, entrepreneurial activities on the University of Nevada, Reno campus and, in doing so, is stimulating regional, technology-based economic development. Adaptable and market-responsive, NCAR provides a centralized access point and deploys an individualized approach as it assesses the needs of industry, startup companies and entrepreneurs, including faculty, staff and students. NCAR then matches those needs with University facilities, equipment and expertise. NCAR supports collaboration across the span of academia, industry and government by:
- Building interdisciplinary teams of faculty, researchers, postdoctoral and graduate students, and interns to work with entrepreneurs and industry on ongoing, one-off or complex R&D projects.
- Offering entrepreneurs and industry affordable co-working space on campus including both “wet” and “dry” laboratory spaces to support R&D needs and office space for administrative and research support needs.
- Providing entrepreneurs with access to a support network that includes incubation and business mentoring.
- Supporting centralized access to a wide array of campus facilities, laboratories, core centers and makerspaces, plus the expert staff who operate equipment and labs, design and conduct experiments and analyze data.
- Creating and coordinating large, multidisciplinary research initiatives involving coalitions of public and private stakeholders.
Opened in May 2015 and supported by the Nevada Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED), NCAR has become an integral part of the regional entrepreneurial ecosystem. NCAR-affiliated companies have created more than 90 new jobs and NCAR has generated $15.7 million in grants, contracts, agreements, gifts and donations.