Many members gain significant membership benefit by serving on one of our committees, or on our volunteer board of directors. We hope you’ll consider joining this enthusiastic and engaging group of individuals, as we work together to advance our mission. Below is more information regarding the board nomination and election process.
In 2022 UEDA will elect the following board positions:
- Secretary (2-year term)
- Vice President (4-year term)
- Four At-Large Board Members (2-year terms)
Voting will occur at the Annual Business Meeting on Tuesday, October 11, 2022, as part of the Annual Summit in San Antonio, TX. Nominations are now being accepted for each of these positions via the online form below. Nominations which are received by 5:00 PM ET on Friday, September 9, 2022, will be shared with the voting membership via email by Sunday, September 11, 2022, along with ballot information. Nominations will not be accepted from the floor during the Annual Business Meeting.
The UEDA bylaws require at least six and allow for up to ten at-large members. The UEDA Board would like maintain its current board size. Therefore, there are four at-large Board positions open for nominations. In addition, UEDA bylaws allow for board members to serve two consecutive terms before a member becomes term limited and is ineligible for nomination.
Nominate someone else…
If you would like to nominate someone, please contact the UEDA member you wish to nominate before submitting his/her nomination in order to confirm that the person is willing to accept the nomination and related responsibilities.
UEDA welcomes and encourages self-nominations. Serving as a UEDA Board member or officer is a rewarding experience and provides opportunities for professional growth and development.
Please note that only Voting Members are eligible to serve on the Board of Directors. An organization may change its Voting Member to accommodate this requirement by contacting Tim Hindes via email. All Board candidates are expected to submit a high-resolution photograph, a (no more than) 400-word biographical sketch by September 9, 2022 and will be asked to make a brief statement at the annual meeting prior to the election. Those elected are expected to attend the Board of Directors meeting scheduled for the morning of Wednesday, October 12 in San Antonio, following the Summit.
Please complete the Board Nomination form by 5:00 PM ET on Friday, September 9, 2022.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out to our staff.
Position Description: Member of the Board of Directors
The University Economic Development Association (UEDA) is an international membership association focused on advancing the economic prosperity of regions through engagement with higher education. With a focus on the areas of talent, innovation, and place, UEDA provides thought leadership in higher education economic engagement to institutions and their allies.
The mission of UEDA is to serve its members by promoting knowledge and practice in the realms of talent, innovation, and place as drivers of regional prosperity.
Board members are the fiduciaries who steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies, as well as by making sure the nonprofit has adequate resources to advance its mission. (National Council of Nonprofits)
The Board functions according to the bylaws of UEDA which are publicly available on the UEDA website. The Board will support the work of UEDA and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by UEDA’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Service on UEDA’s Board of Directors is without remuneration. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Ensuring prudent use of all assets
- Ensuring that activities and transactions are advancing UEDA’s mission
- Ensuring that UEDA obeys applicable laws and regulations, follows its own bylaws and adheres to its stated corporate purposes/mission
- Negotiating and reviewing all contracts as needed
- Reviewing and authorizing business transactions
- Providing oversight and serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as the ED develops and implements UEDA’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by UEDA for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving UEDA’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Actively serving on at least one (1) UEDA committee and taking on special assignments as needed
- Representing UEDA to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Assisting the Executive Director and board president in identifying and recruiting other Board Members, with the knowledge of
- UEDA’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects UEDA’s membership
UEDA Board Members will consider UEDA a philanthropic priority and commit to identifying at least one (1) sponsor annually to reflect that priority—either from their own institution or another organization.
UEDA Board Members will consider UEDA’s organizational sustainability a priority and commit to identifying at least one (1) new member annually to reflect that priority. In addition, Board Members should also maintain active membership in UEDA and encourage participation in UEDA activities to colleagues within their organization or institution.
As the organization’s flagship event, Board Members support the successful execution of the Summit. While a majority of the Summit planning activities will occur through the Summit Committee, Board Members assist through identification and facilitation of potential speakers, sponsors, award of excellence applicants, future hosts, etc…
UEDA’s Board Members will serve a two-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held based on the schedule of each committee, usually monthly. Board Members are expected to attend meetings of the Board. Grounds for removal may include, but are not limited to, missing three consecutive regular meetings and/or four regular meetings in any calendar year unless such absences were excused by the President. All board members are expected to attend the UEDA Annual Summit as well as any scheduled Board Retreat. Reimbursement is not provided for these events.
As board member we strive to do the following:
- Perform our duties as board members, as spelled out in the Board Member Job Description, to the best of our ability and in accordance with all relevant laws and organizational policies
- Represent the interests of all members and organizations served by UEDA
- Keep confidential information confidential, unless we are obligated to do otherwise
- Refrain from using confidential information acquired as a board member of UEDA for personal or third-party gain
- Disclose any potential conflicts of interest to the appropriate parties
This is a wonderful opportunity for an individual who is passionate about UEDA’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in higher education, business, government, or the economic development sector. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in higher education, business, government, or the economic development sector
- A commitment to UEDA’s mission and understanding of UEDA’s members
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals and organizations
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for supporting the work of UEDA’s members
Service on UEDA’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.
Benefits of Board Service
- Vote at the board level driving organizational operations and strategyA voice in driving thought leadership of the higher education economic engagement sector
- Engagement and collaboration with high-level peers throughout the sector
- Institution listed as a UEDA Council of Leadership
- Name, photo, and institution listed on UEDA website as a member of the board
- Name and institution listed on UEDA official letterhead
- Board service recognition at UEDA Annual Summit